Sunday, February 21, 2010

Old Man Winter


Dear Winter...I am tired of you. You're stronger in the northern states and do not give way as quickly nor as easily as you do in the south. Because of you, I was excited about a sunny day with a temperature of 47 degrees. Most of the people I know just enjoyed a gorgeous weekend with temperatures in the 60's or 70's. I'm trying not to whine because I know there are far worse things going on in this world than being cold. But today I missed the south and the hope of spring that was in the air. Today I missed friends, family, and the familiar.

I'm tired of fighting snow mounds to park my car.



I'm tired of this being what we see in every parking lot.



I'm tired of playing the "I wonder if I can get to the sidewalk?" game.



And the "Where do I park to get anything done?" game.



Even the sea gulls have had to adjust their normal resting places.





But you only have 26 days left until your cousin, Spring, arrives. Because she is gentler and kinder, you may be able to hold on to your reign a bit longer than you're supposed to, but know this: you will be vanquished for another season and Spring will come. It will come again to this city and to my soul.

No comments: