Wednesday, March 24, 2010

No Greater Joy

Good morning! It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood and while not as warm as this past weekend was, it's still a reminder that spring really is here. Again, you will get no complaints from me. :)

I find that I have to take a small detour this morning from the wedding documentation to share something near and dear to my heart. Many years ago, I discovered this verse in the book of 3 John and it became one of my favorites.

"I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth."

Paul was writing about those in one of the early churches, but it resonated in my mother's heart and became my prayer to the Lord not only for my own children, but for those He brought my way to love as my own.

As the years went by, many became answers to that prayer while others broke my heart when they chose to walk away. But that verse never ceased being the expression of the deepest part of my mother's being.

When I got up this morning, I discovered that Tiffany had written the second entry in her blog about Michael's wedding. If you'll take the time to read it here, you'll know why the only response I could have was to praise God for His unfailing love and neverending faithfulness.

All three of our children love God and desire His best for their lives and I am humbled at times by their example. As Hamp said at the rehearsal dinner, I'm so thankful that we're still here to share in their lives not only as their parents, but also as our brothers and sister in Christ.

This past weekend, I watched my "baby" truly grow up. The one who caused the parenting books to be put on the shelf because they didn't work, the one who was determined to live life his way even before he was born - this one vowed before God and family and friends to love, honor, and cherish his new bride until death parts them. I know he could choose to not keep those vows - many do these days - but as witnesses to their union, we were charged to protect them and we will do so for the rest of our days.

So I guess I just needed to say, "Thanks, God" this morning as I am reminded by my daughter that God is greater than anything this world might throw at us.





1 comment:

E said...

I love that your children love Jesus. It is my prayer over Emery every night that she will love and serve Him with all her heart and soul. :)

You have a beautiful family!