Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Giving of Thanks

Thanksgiving Week is upon us. In honor of this occasion, I would first like to present my revised rendition of a classic favorite that all of us at one time or another have sung enthusiastically in a classroom or in front of smiling parents.

Over the harbor and through the air
To Mickey's house we go
The plane will obey
What the pilots say
And we will not see any snow-o!



No, I'm not quitting my day job...

Anyway, I think I've about decided that Norman Rockwell is not my friend. I guess he really couldn't be because he's no longer living, but that's beside the point. I have realized that his artistic portrayal of life in America doesn't always look like reality. Or maybe it's just my reality that doesn't always stay in the lines and has colors that run together.


While most of us will be able to spend part of this week with family and friends, for some there will be empty seats at the table. Whether through tragic circumstances, personal choice, or just the passing of time, our hearts will miss those who mattered to us and are not present.

To all of you who journey with me these days, know that I am thankful for each one of you. I have been very blessed and often don't take the time to remember that. We are very excited to be gathering with our children in Orlando for most of this week and I'm sure we will have lots of pictures to share in the coming days.

As we enter this week of giving thanks, let's remember that it's more than turkey and pilgrims and football. It's a time to intentionally remember who the Founder of our feast really is.

"Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth. Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs. Know that the Lord is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations." ~Psalm 100

No comments: