Thursday, April 8, 2010

You Can Never Go Home Again?

"How far we all come. How far we all come away from ourselves. So far, so much between, you can never go home again. You can go home, it's good to go home, but you never really get all the way home again in your life." ~James Agee, "A Death In The Family"

With all due respect to James Agee, I'm not sure his statement is correct. It appears that this Yankee-born, Southern-raised, and Baltimore-transplanted girl is returning home to the Jonquil City, also known as Smyrna.


It's late and I am heading back to Baltimore tomorrow to begin the madness that will be our lives for the next three weeks as we pack yet again and have to say sad goodbyes yet again. I'm not a fan of either - just in case you wondered.

I do think James Agee is right to some degree because while I will literally be living right around the corner from where I grew up, the city that shaped me has been reshaped over the last three decades. But the complex we'll be living in has lots of trees (and currently LOTS of pollen) and it just felt like home. My poor old kitty will get to experience the outdoors again on our small porch area and we have a swing, picnic table and grill right outside our back door. Trust me, people, it's the little things.



I did get to go to the Braves home opener...sort of. After battling traffic problems, cell connection problems, and parking problems, I actually got to my seat in the 4th inning. But there will be more games and I have proof I made it there.


My posts might be brief for now as there is much to do, but they shouldn't be boring. In fact, I'm not sure that will ever be an adjective that can be used for our family again.

1 comment:

Glenda said...

I'm so glad the Lord helped you find a nice place to live! Loved seeing the photo. I will need to figure out how to drive to Smyrna- see, you are still helping me to stretch my horizons! I pray the Lord will carry you through the next 3 crazy weeks of yet another move. His mercies are new every morning and GREAT is His faithfulness! I also pray He will comfort your heart as you prepare to say good-byes once again. Dear friend, I must say I agree that "boring" will never ever be a word to describe the life of the Jones family! Lots of hugs, Glenda