Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I Should Be Sleeping

I'm trying to wind my brain down enough so I can actually sleep when I go to bed and your are getting the results of that attempt. :) Is it really just the end of Tuesday?? My brain is already full and there's a lot of week left that it needs to be functional for...

Quick updates - first, we met a new couple at church Sunday morning that we ended up spending some time with that afternoon...on their boat. Yes, I did say "on their boat". It wasn't quite the peaceful sailing experience I'd been dreaming of, but it was still a lot of fun. It was a very nice boat and enough bumpy on the choppy water that I was thankful I had taken half a Dramamine just in case. My stomach survived and we enjoyed the scenery and just beat a gathering storm back to the marina.









Labor Day was spent eating Hamp's yummy grilled hamburgers and hotdogs he had to cook at Ellis and Ginger's since that's where our grill lives for now. Obviously, not as convenient, but still worth the effort. We made homemade ice cream in the stairwell of our building by running an extension cord from our apartment so we wouldn't ruin any floors. No pictures, but we had a good time with a few friends from church. Holidays, no matter how "small", are always harder for those of us living away from family and friends. We try to make sure nobody is alone because sometimes it can really feel that way even when you're with people.

I worked today and also picked up Michael from the airport for a 3 day visit. We have lots to do as he prepares for his fall semester to start and then I have two friends from GA arriving on September 11th. I think they're braver than I would be to fly on that day but am looking forward to their long weekend visit.

Before I go to bed which is where I really should be, I have to share with you a funny story. As you can imagine, there are many "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto" moments when life is so completely different from all I've ever known. They don't result in near as much fit-pitching as when I first arrived, nor in as many tears. I've graduated to mostly head shaking and there's still the surreal "I live in the city??" question that arises often. But on Saturday, when we hosted the UGA game viewing, I heard the first thing that's made me laugh out loud over how different things are for us many displaced Georgians. If you saw our new friend, Matt, dressed like this, what would be your first thought?



It probably would be that he's a UGA fan and more than likely an alumni because he is wearing a nice polo shirt and not just a t-shirt. The black logo is the dead giveaway and we'd all notice that a mile away anywhere in the state of Georgia, right? Well, before he came to our apartment, he'd gone into Target and was stopped with the following question (which could also be a hint of the season to come, but I digress): "Excuse me, could you tell me where the toilet paper is?" Yes, the lady thought he worked there. Hahahahahahaha!!! And on that note, I bid you goodnight!

1 comment:

Tiffany Jones said...

Hahaha!!! That's a funny story about Matt! Enjoy hanging with the brother! Love you!