Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving Victory!

Greetings from the Jones household where we are celebrating Georgia Tech's win over UGA after 7 years of drought. I guess I should clarify that a little; Michael is lamenting the loss in the Boston suburbs somewhere while Tiffany is mostly neutral. Should you be wondering at our family's opposite loyalties, I'll give you a quick background....

My family moved to the Atlanta area when I was 5 years old because my dad became the radio voice of Georgia Tech football. Back then, the 60 miles or so to Athens was a long 60 miles with no major highways connecting it to Atlanta. So if you lived in suburban Atlanta, you were usually a Tech fan and someone in your family probably graduated from there. On Thanksgiving Day the "Bullpups" used to play the "Baby Jackets" and many families had the tradition of going to that game as part of the celebration of the day.

By the time I graduated from high school, UGA was a popular college choice and I attended for 2 quarters before retiring from higher education. While a student there, I cheered for UGA, but blood runs deep and my ultimate allegiance remained with Tech. When the kids came along, Michael chose UGA to be his team to cheer for and we've had many fun rivalries down through the years with Michael in his red and black and the rest of us in gold, white, and/or blue.

This year, we gathered with Tech fans only since we have endured public humiliation most of the last 7 years in living rooms belonging to UGA fans.





For the first half of the game, it looked like the Bulldogs would prevail and then it became a question of who would have the ball last as Tech had an amazing 3rd quarter and scored several times. This image from the television answers the question of "who won?"



It was a long time coming and it may only last for a year, but for today we are celebrating Georgia Tech's victory over the University of Georgia. Go Jackets!!

4 comments:

Glenda said...

So glad you had a fun day of football!

Janet said...

Yeehaw!

Liz B. said...

Argghhh. I continue to be an irritable Georgia football fan. At least I'll have my own family bragging rights over my husband for the next year. "Glory, glory to ole Georgia... and the heck with Georgia Tech!" (G-rated version)

Jill said...

Dr. Liz!! So good to hear from you...and so brave! We missed sharing the experience with you. :)

Hope all is well and we can see you before your wedding. Spring training perhaps??