Saturday, November 22, 2008

A Quiet Week

It's confession time for a new and still insecure blogger. I kept waiting for something exciting to happen this week so I could share it with you and hopefully keep you interested enough to check on us from time to time. I have come to realize that in the grand scheme of life, however, we're actually pretty quiet and simple people. So if you do decide to stop by, you'll just get the real us. Sometimes we'll have exciting things to share like, "We're moving to Baltimore!" and sometimes we might tell you that it's been a hard week and God has held our broken hearts together. In my supposedly mature and wiser place in life, I've discovered that most of life happens somewhere between those two extremes. To that end, here are the highlights of the week with a couple of pictures to make it more colorful.

After coming home from being in Baltimore, my brain took about 4 days to slow down enough to actually "be" at home. The saying "home is where the heart is" rings truer to me than it ever did before. Part of my heart resides with Tiffany and Michael on the North Shore in Massachusetts, part of it now lives with Hamp in our apartment in Baltimore, and the rest of it is scattered all over metro Atlanta with the family and friends I am blessed to have and will soon be leaving. This can make for a very schizophrenic way to live if you're not careful and I've needed this week to figure that out a little bit. The preparation of the last two years has helped immensely, yet I've found that the emotion of dealing with everything has caused a few grief bumps to surface as well. Most of my evenings have found me knitting in front of a cozy little fire just letting my soul relax and also trying to keep the chill out of the living room.



Not to be outdone, Kit has done her best to remind me that sometimes the best thing to do is just curl up and take a nap!



I do have one exciting thing to share with you. I am no longer a bow making failure thanks to my friend, Janet. She invited me to join her on Wednesday at the Serendipity House in Acworth where they had several classes on various holiday decorating ideas. To fully appreciate the experience I had, you need some background.

Many years ago when my kids were very small, several ladies from our church took a bow making class together. We mostly just needed a night out, but we really did want to learn how to make a bow. Sadly, the lady that taught the class was much too serious for the task. She obviously had a detailed plan for her investment of time and allowed for no fun or frivolity. How can you make Christmas bows without either, I ask you? I'm sure Santa frowned and she was added to the naughty list that night. But I digress...I never really got the hang of it and was made to feel inferior because of my creative lack. So for the last twenty-something years, I never attempted another bow. That all changed on Wednesday as I folded and twisted and made a Christmas bow all by myself that actually looks like a bow. To some of you, this is just a silly piece of information, but for me, it was a healing and liberating moment!



So there you have it - a week of keeping up with the Joneses. Hamp will be flying in on Wednesday and will be here all of Thanksgiving weekend. My family (minus Tiffany and Michael) will join us for dinner on Thursday and we will be watching closely the UGA/Georgia Tech game on Saturday. From things I'm reading on AJC.com and hearing with my own ears, UGA fans are a little nervous, but only the honest ones will admit it. While Tech still might not win, it should be a good game and if they do, there are paybacks that are long overdue...and you know who you are!

3 comments:

Glenda said...

Jill, I love the "real you"! Your transparent, honest heart is a gift. It is fun hearing you share the new things you are learning to do. I'm very proud of your pretty red bow! Your knitting has been quite the accomplishment and definitely seems to be a way God helps you relax. I can just see you sitting by your warm fire knitting away! I pray the Lord will heal your "grief bumps" as you continue to prepare your heart for the move to Baltimore. There is a lot going on inside of you these days. It's a comfort to remember that Jesus knows every single detail and is with you every step of the way. It doesn't make it any easier to travel through the tough spots in life, but it is a comfort to know we are never ever alone! Enjoy the holiday with your precious family...and remember how thankful I am to have been blessed with you as my friend and my sister in Christ!

Tiffany Jones said...

Nice bow! I am very proud of you. :) Love you!

Janet said...

Great bow...older sister got all the "crafty" talent...but, at least I can draw stick people! I'm so glad God blessed me with a sister who will feed me on Thanksgiving because I have no idea which box most of my things are in! Hopefully we'll be "unboxed" by te weekend.