Monday, July 19, 2010

Dysfunctionally Fun

I have always loved illustrated calendars. When I was growing up, I used to get a Joan Walsh Anglund calendar every year to hang on my wall. Her pictures were always so whimsical and delicate and they made me smile whenever I saw them.


Years ago I discovered Mary Engelbreit and immediately became a fan. Her illustrations have a similar feel to them, but they often have a famous quote or something of her own creation on them. I started buying the desk calendars when they became available because it's fun to have a new picture begin each day. And the timing of some of the things a page will say leads me to believe that God has a much greater sense of humor than even I give Him credit for sometimes.

Today was one of those days. Here's what greeted me on this Monday morning.


If you know me or my family at all, you know that there's probably not a more appropriate word to describe us - dysfunctional. I've gotten old enough to no longer fret that this is true and have decided to embrace the reality and run with it.

Perhaps this information will be explanation enough when I show you what I ate for dinner on Saturday night.


You can probably tell it's something with ice cream on it, so I'll fill in the details. It was homemade pound cake by Hamp's dad topped with fresh strawberries smashed with just a taste of sugar topped with Breyer's vanilla ice cream and crowned with Hershey's chocolate syrup.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is a first-born, rule following, middle aged woman's attempt to put the fun back into dysfunctional. And what a grand experiment it was! I think I will be doing more of these things as the days go by; anyone want to join me?

1 comment:

E said...

I'll join you! I LOVE ice cream!