Friday, May 21, 2010

Sleepless In Smyrna

It's 4:45 a.m. and I should be sleeping. Obviously, I am not. And this is the second time this week that 3:00 a.m. has been my wake up time. I think my body has reached its limit in how much stress it can take and it's telling me "enough"! My counselor friend whom I chatted with a couple of days ago told me the same thing. So my immediate and short term goal is to rest...in every way. And I will - as soon as there's time. :)

It's been another interesting week in the Jones household. As you know, we began the moving process from our first apartment last Friday night and I went to bed at 3:00 a.m. Then Saturday we moved all day and around 10:00 that night as I was helping Joey unload my car after a quick run to Target, catastrophe struck. My foot caught the concrete barrier meant for the end of a parking space (but due to restriping years ago, was randomly in between two parked cars) and I fell, landing on my left brow bone area. Six hours and nine stitches later we finally called it a day. Almost a week later, the stitches are now out, but the remaining purple eyelid ringed with yellow and green looks like a 70's makeup experiment gone terribly wrong.


I also skinned my right knee and sprained my left arm that apparently helped break my fall, so most of the week has been spent taking Advil, bandaging wounded areas, and recovering. My glasses broke in the fall so an overdue trip to the eye doctor was worked in as well. It could have been so much worse and I'm truly thankful it wasn't.

Let's move on to other news, shall we? I did have the presence of mind to capture a couple of pictures of how we removed the smoke smell that was in EVERYTHING we owned. Most of the clothes were just washed and dried, but when it came to the hanging stuff, drycleaning everything was too expensive of an option to consider. So first the items were lightly sprayed with Lysol and then they were hung outside in the breezeway where a nice cross breeze replaced stale smoke with fresh air. I'm sure the neighbors thought Sanford and Son had moved in, but it worked!




The same Lysol spray was lightly applied to mattresses, furniture, and all sorts of items and they were left outside for a while before they were brought into the new apartment. But I am happy to say that we are now in a smoke free environment and I'm working on being able to say that it was all worth it.

I guess it's technically Friday, so I have to now say that yesterday was Matthew's 30th birthday. We had dinner with him and Lindsay and her family and she did a great job of bringing decorations, etc. to make everything very festive for the occasion. If I had time to really think about it, I'm pretty sure I'm mostly astounded that I now have two children who are in their 30's.

Tiffany wrote a really sweet blog entry about her brother, so if you'll click here you can read it. Hamp and I echo her sentiments with a hearty "Amen!" and we continue to be so thankful for all three of our children and the additions God is bringing to our family. Here are a few pictures from the birthday dinner and we'll be celebrating again next week when we're all together for Michael and Bekah's shower.






Thunder is rumbling in the distance, so I think I'll head back to bed and see if I can add to my night's sleep total. In talking with my counselor friend this week, she told me how her son had coined the phrase "defrag" for us as humans and I realized it was the perfect description for where I am and what I need. If I don't answer the phone or return calls immediately or commit to much in the near future, just know that I'm defragging in the hopes that my operating system will work as it was designed to when the process is complete.

2 comments:

Glenda said...

Dear sister, I hope you do a LOT of "defragging" until your being is rested inside and out. What's not done that doesn't really have to be done can wait. Your rest can't! I love you so much and pray Jesus will lift your stress right out of you and carry it on HIS shoulders where it belongs. Sending you some HUGS and hope to give you some real ones sometime this summer. LOVE YOU ALWAYS! In Jesus, Glenda

Meghan said...

Ouchies! That looks like it still super hurts!