Friday, June 8, 2012

"Is It What It Is"?

If you've known me longer than a minute, you've heard me say the phrase, "It is what it is".  It's a short, but sweet statement that can be said about anything that actually has no explanation, or maybe more honestly, one that we want to accept.  Which could mean that it makes no sense at all, but yet somehow it does.  Confused yet?  Me too.

Anyway, a few months ago the movie, "We Bought  A Zoo" came out and we rented it one night.  It's a great family movie for those who haven't seen it and getting to look at Matt Damon for an hour and a half was an added bonus.  It's about a family that...buys a zoo.  Shocking plot spoiler, huh?? 


But the part that really stuck with me was an exchange between Matt Damon's character and the real estate agent as they're pondering the fact that a zoo is actually for sale.  At first listen, it's confusing.  At second listen, it's still confusing.  And then as I kept replaying it and writing down the words, I realized it was quite profound in a still confusing sort of way.  I found the paper on which I had written those profound, still confusing words not too long ago and thought I'd pass them along in case you needed something to think about as the week winds down in your corner of the world. 

"It is what it is."

"It is what it is.  Sometimes you don't know what it is until you see what it is, you know?  And once you see what it is, then you can figure out...is..it what it is?"

"No, but we can move on".

And there's the profoundness of it all - we can move on.  Even if we don't buy a zoo.

1 comment:

E said...

Love it. Love you.
I have always cringed at the phrase "it is what it is". I still do!